Cramming: From a Procrastinator's Point-of-View


Almost every day in high school involves homeworks, projects and quizzes. The moment you get home, you sometimes feel so overwhelmed with the happenings in school that all you want to do is lay down, relax, and forget all there is to do. Then the next thing you know, you’ve got a project due tomorrow and now you find yourself stressing your brains out and rushing to finish the work you’ve been putting off for a long time. Sounds familiar?

Let’s admit it: we’ve all become procrastinators at least once in our lives. And the result of this behavior we sometimes can’t control? Cramming. Most of the time, it doesn’t feel good to be in this situation. You’re under so much pressure and stress you feel like your brain will go berserk. Then after you successfully finish your work, a great wave of relief washes over you. For me, cramming just can’t be avoided. Especially if you have this really bad habit of putting things off for later.

Cramming is generally considered as a negative study technique. But sometimes, when we think about it, cramming has its advantages too. Just imagine: if you studied a few hours before the big exam day, the information you’ve read stays in your mind because it’s still fresh. And I believe that when we are pressured, we get adrenaline rush and then we sometimes produce results which are better. I speak from experience. ;)

I’m not encouraging people to cram. In fact, I have promised myself to avoid this technique. And slowly, I am starting to leave the idea of cramming. I realized that my maximum potential can be shown when you take things slowly and smoothly. Why isn’t cramming a good idea? Cramming fails because you rely on SHORT-TERM MEMORY. This is fairly unreliable and it fails under stress.

I am an incurable procrastinator. I sometimes find myself not studying for an exam and getting a perfect score in it. If you know you’re a procrastinator and you don’t want to cram, then probably you’ll ace your tests with lesser efforts if you listen intently during class discussions. Then that’s the best way to avoid procrastinating – and cramming.


0 comments:



Post a Comment